Wednesday, January 22, 2003

it was pointed out to me today by a workmate that my views would be construed in the glorious united states of america as 'anti-american'.



let's get one thing very, very clear. the fact that i despise the president of the usa and all the greedy, selfish, cynical, war-mongering bastard members of his government does not make me anti-american. it makes me anti-war, anti-poverty, anti-pandering-to-the-grossly-bloated-corporate-body, it makes me anti-racist, it makes me anti-letting-little-kids-die-because-their-parents-cannot-afford-medicines. how is this anti-american unless being pro-american is equated with being in favour all of those things?



many of the residents of the usa who I have met have been fine human beings, others have been utter bastards. likewise, many of the residents of the uk who I have met have been fine human beings, others have been utter bastards. does my dislike of some british people make me anti-british? don't think so. so why should my dislike of some americans make me anti-american? i don't think it does.



matthew riemer, in an excellent article for yellowtimes.org sums it up pretty well. check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home